This will be a short update, partly because of the follow-up update I posted three days ago (which covers most of what I accomplished this week) and partly because school is now in full swing and so I’ve been spending a lot of time trying to type up my notes. Only minor changes this week. I’ll definitely do something cool by next week, though, so stay tuned.
Summary of changes:
- added an emacs pygments style
- fixed some W3C validation errors
- fixed my first merge conflict with hg, using vimdiff (it was a bit scary)
I wasn’t able to make too much progress on this yet. Next week!
Same as above.
Ability to upload files as snippets
In the IRC channel, jwe suggested adding the ability to upload a file to be posted as a snippet, in addition to the current method of pasting it into a text box. This sounds like a useful feature, and I will work on that for next week.
I’ll look into ways of dealing with spam (the old installation at agora.octave.org was flooded with spammy snippets). Jordi suggested not publicly listing anonymous snippets, and requiring a CAPTCHA (possibly using this app) for registration.
Position in timeline
- August 1-15: Check out codebase, get it running; read all the code and documentation; start learning Mercurial
- August 16-31: Start working on design; start mocking up models and routes for the components
- September 1 - October 15: Work on the core components, with as much test coverage and documentation as is feasible; start implementing the views, models and templates
- October 16-31: Ensure that documentation is thorough and up to date; write any remaining tests that need to be written; test out the user interface and fix any bugs